Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pinterest

www.pinterest.com

Pinterest: is a visual discovery tool that you can use to find ideas for all your projects and interests.

There are many different types of information you can look up on Pinterest I focused my discussion on how it can benefit us as teachers.

1. You must register to become a user.
2. Then you can search areas in which pertain to you in the search bar at the top of the screen.
(For example classroom décor, grade with subjects, holiday ideas and worksheets etc.)
  • If you like something you see within this category in the top left corner of the image there will be a red rectangle that says pin it. Click pin it. It will then say pick a board. You can then go down to create a new board and type in a title, I have this board stored as teaching on my account. From this point on you can pin all things you find to that board category. This is accessible to you at all times, and places everything you liked and choose to pin in one area for you to easily access.
  • You can access this (your boards) by clicking on your name in the top right hand corner. Then click my profile and pins. It will bring up all the different category boards in which you created, and when you click on that board all the ideas you had pinned will show up. This provides easy access to anything you had liked and pinned since you joined Pinterest.
Samples from my Pinterest Account:
 
3. Some pins provide pictures and examples, and some provide you with a link to the website in which certain materials and ideas can be found on. Either way all the information is within your pin, and accessible to you once you choose to pin it to your board.

Ease of Use: This may be because I have been using it for a very long time, but I think Pinterest is extremely easy to use. I talked about it in front of my family and they wanted to know how they could use it. So I actually recently taught my Nana to use it for ideas for decorating her house and recipe ideas. It is actually quite funny because sometimes I go over and she will show me something she did from Pinterest. And she does not really know technology that well, and uses it with no problems. I think once you know the point of it, and how it works it is very easy. Once you start playing around with it, you figure it out very easily.

Affordance Educationally:
  • Classroom decoration ideas
  • Classroom unit ideas
  • Grade appropriate lessons and lesson plans
  • Teacher tips
  • Holiday ideas
  • Worksheets

1 comment:

  1. Pintrest seems like an excellent way to collect ideas for multiple classroom uses like instruction, classroom management, and classroom décor. I know many teachers that have implemented many successful strategies in their classroom because of Pintrest.

    ReplyDelete